The Colonial Edwards Family
Characters in One April in Boston are highlighted in bold.
Captain Benjamin Edwards (1685-1751) was a sea captain and merchant. He married Hannah Harrod
in Boston in 1706. Benjamin and Hannah had three children (Sarah,
Benjamin) who all died in their infancy.
Captain Benjamin Edwards married Bathsheba Evans (1701-1738)
Benjamin and Bathsheba had seven children:
- Benjamin Edwards (1731-1803) was a silversmith and shopkeeper. He married Mary Bent (1743-1824)
MA in 1777. (Mary's father Thomas Bent of Sudbury, MA was one of the
wounded during the fighting on battle road, April 19, 1775.)
Mary had five children; Mary, Benjamin, Bathsheba, Alexander and
- Robert Edwards (1732-1770) was a tailor. He married first Susanna Downes in 1755
and second Mary (White) Clark (?-1774) in 1756. Robert and Mary had
Mary, Bathsheba, Rebecca, Elizabeth (Betsey) and Sally.
married Jedediah Lincoln, ancestor of Abraham Lincoln, in 1785.
had six children. When Betsey died in 1796, Jedediah married second
- Alexander Edwards (1733-1798) was a cabinetmaker and
member of the
Sons of Liberty. He married Sarah Greenough (1735-?). The
exact date of this
marriage is not known. Alexander and Sarah had a son Alexander in
died young) and a daughter Sarah who died in infancy in 1761.
- John Edwards (1734/35-1758) was a cooper and also a mariner. He drown in the river
while on a voyage to Jamaica with Captain Wright.
- Bathsheba Edwards (1736-1785) first married a man named Carter. They
children. She married second to Nicholas Gray. Bathsheba and
six children; Hannah, Sarah, Benjamin, Bathsheba, Betsey and Polly.
- Dolling Edwards (1737-1773) was a mastmaker. He married Rebecca Christie (1739-1771)
Dolling and Rebecca had six children:
- John Edwards (born in 1759, died young.)
- Sally Edwards (baptized Sarah) (1761-1808) married
Jr. (1760-1813) son of Boston silversmith Paul Revere.
- Rebecca Edwards (1763-?) died young.
- Benjamin Edwards (1765-1808) was baptized April 14,
was a cooper in Boston and direct ancestor of the author. Ben
(Polly) Bangs in 1791. Ben and Polly had five children; Benjamin,
Alexander, Joseph Bragdon and Maryan. Joseph B. Edwards
son of Benjamin the cooper and direct ancestor of the author, was
as a paver in Boston.
- Rebecca Edwards (1768-?) married Josiah Carter,
- Alexander Edwards (1770-1823) a cabinetmaker.
- Hannah Edwards (1738-1739) died at the age of 16 months.